During the holiday season, we dream of waking up to a cold and snowy morning… not a bunch of bite marks on our arms or legs. Bed bugs can quickly turn a fun celebration into a frustrating and stressful experience. While it can be challenging to prevent these pests, there are some precautions you can take to protect your home from an infestation. Learn how to avoid bed bugs this holiday season using these tips from the experts at Sorko Services.
Why Are Bed Bugs More Common During the Holidays?
While bed bugs are a year-round problem here in Central Florida, we often see an uptick in infestations during or immediately after the holidays. There are several reasons why bed bugs are more common this time of year, including:
- Travel: With more people traveling during holidays to visit family or go on vacations, bed bugs can hitch a ride in luggage, clothing, or other belongings. Staying in hotels and using public transportation can also increase your odds of accidentally picking these pests up.
- Visitors: Hosting guests during the holidays can inadvertently bring bed bugs into your home. Visitors might unknowingly carry these pests in their luggage or clothing from their own travels or infested spaces.
- Shopping: Holiday shopping means more visits to shopping malls and stores where bed bugs may be lurking. You could pick these pests up while walking around or by bringing home new clothing, bedding, or other fabric items into your home.
Tips for Avoiding Bed Bugs During the Holidays
Bed bugs are tiny parasites that typically measure less than a quarter of an inch, which makes it very difficult to spot them until it’s too late. Though it’s challenging to avoid accidentally picking up bed bugs while traveling or shopping, there are some steps you can take to prevent these pests:
- Use protective mattress encasements: Mattress covers and encasements make it harder for bed bugs to invade your sleeping area. If you’re hosting guests, consider using these beneath your sheets for extra protection.
- Safeguard your luggage: Use hard-shelled suitcases and keep your clothing in plastic bags, which discourage bed bugs from hopping onto your belongings. Avoid leaving your luggage on the carpet as well, opting for the luggage rack instead.
- Wash clothes immediately on high heat: Whether you’re traveling or shopping, wash all of your fabric items immediately after returning home. Be sure to use a high-heat setting that will kill any live insects or eggs.
- Shop carefully: Shopping secondhand can be economical and environmentally friendly, but it increases your risk of getting bed bugs. Carefully inspect and shake out any fabric items, and remember to wash everything immediately after bringing it home.
- Inspect hotels or guest rooms: Before relaxing on your hotel or guest bed, take a minute to look for signs of an infestation. Dark red spots on bed sheets, a sweet or musty odor, and live insects or their eggs are all telltale signs.
What to Do If You Have Bed Bugs
Dealing with a bed bug infestation can be incredibly stressful, especially during the holidays. If you think you may have these pests in your home, call the experts at Sorko Services right away. Our team offers 24-48 hour response times so we can treat your infestation as quickly as possible. We also provide ongoing support and follow-up visits to ensure your bed bug problem is gone for good. No matter how big or small your infestation is, our team is here to help.
How to Avoid Bed Bugs This Holiday Season in Central Florida
Serving Greater Orlando, Sanford and Kissimmee